First of all to know how to protect your PC from virus you need to know what exactly is a virus and what it does??
A virus is a piece of program created by Hackers to exploit your PC.. Viruses are used for a lot of purposes by hackers.. It is used to get passwords, credit card information, access to your PC to steal important information, and sometimes just to cause trouble.. :).. Once a virus enters your PC the creator of the virus can do a lot of things with your PC.. He can gain access to your PC, Turn Off your PC, etc.. A virus can also disable the registry, turn off the safe mode, disable the task manager(ctrl+alt+del) etc..
Now, by knowing what a virus can do you realize the need to protect your PC from Viruses.. Let me start with how the viruses enter the PC..
Viruses enter the PC by a lot of means.. Most of them are listed below :
1. Browsing Unsecure Sites.
2. Downloading Files from the Internet.
3. Using P2P networks like Limewire, eMule, etc..
4. Through USB Drives, CD, DVD etc..
5. Through Instant Messengers like yahoo, msn etc..
6. Many more.....
As there are a lot of ways by which the viruses can enter the PC, it is very important for us to secure our PC as far as possible..
1. The First step towards protecting our PC is to use a good anti-virus.. There are a lot of anti viruses available but it is up to you to choose the best one.. I would suggest you using Kaspersky as it is very efficient in protecting your PC from viruses and also it won't slow down your PC.. Other good ones are : NOD32, Mcafee, Avira AntiVir, Norton.. But none of these are not as efficient as Kaspersky.. You need to keep updating your Anti virus once in every 3 days to get the maximum protection.. Updating the anti-virus is a must.. As there are lots of viruses created daily, to get the max. protection you need to keep updating your anti virus..
2. Whenever you download stuffs from the net make sure you scan it.
3. Visit secured sites as far as possible.
4. Avoid using Limewire, eMule, other P2P networking softwares as a lot of viruses comes through these.. An alternate for these are using torrents.. Check out this link to know more about torrents and P2P networks and to know which is more secure.
The above measures can prevent viruses from entering your PC as far as possible.. Follow all these measures to keep your PC secure.. :-)
If your PC has a virus or you are having problems removing any virus Please write your problems to firstname.lastname@example.org, I will try my best to resolve it.. Your comment will be replied within 6 hours..